¶ 2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 Whether by design of serendipity, the two radio talk shows, The Diane Ream Shows on Sept 2, 2015 were both devoted to human flows. One: the flow of refuges and migrants; Two: the flow of people via cars, public transit, bicycles, and walking in cities. Both radio programs, to nuet’s perspective were very insightful as to the complexity, historical, and potential consequences of these two human flows. I strongly recommend you listen to them.
¶ 5 Leave a comment on paragraph 5 0 The dialog elevated the severity of this process to one of major import in the future, much more than today. We see a complex mix of attitude by leaders and populations in areas where flows pass through and come to rest. There is a mix of reasons from survival refuges to economic betterment seekers. The EU crisis contrasts well with the US/Mexican border issues. Fascists will not cease to resist immigrants. Many countries with aging populations need emigrants for economic survival.
- ¶ 6 Leave a comment on paragraph 6 0
- This flow will continue to increase as climate change induced disasters lead to conflicts which will lead to human flows.
- The trafficking of human flows, present in the refugee scenes, also has aspects in the sex, slave, ivory, endangered animal, arms, drug, money, and other illicit and illegal flows.
- The contribution/drain on economies and peoples will be a growing political factor.
- Reeee management of flows will become a high tech activity. Care will be needed to filter out terrorists and other undesirable flows; which fair and efficient care to those in need will be in conflict.
- It will be a major crisis for the EU; which can be analogized with the USA states without a powerful national government. Every region of the planet will face this issue. What happens when a cap on flow conflicts with continuing flow?
¶ 9 Leave a comment on paragraph 9 0 The movement of persons and things, in the normal balance of flows, is having difficulty due to the growing insufficiency of transportation infrastructures to meet the needs of changing flows
- ¶ 10 Leave a comment on paragraph 10 0
- I was reminded of the corporate conspiracy in the early 20th century to intentionally destroy well working public transportation systems in all major US cities – especially LA. This plot eventually became a major contributor to climate change.
- The destruction of urban communities was mentioned; which should lead to other significant cultural changes brought about by the personal car. How much has the car contributed to our overblown individualism? It was mentioned how the cell phone makes using public transportation much easier, and how the younger generations (in the USA) are not so obsessed with owning a car.
- There was discussion about how the users of transport are excluded from any decision-making about transportation options. The engineering paradigm of using manuals of standard practice overrides other considerations. In Tucson it appears that all public funds are going into road improvements, with delays everywhere and seemingly lasting forever. And, Tucson is going to over a month of a public transit strike, with only a skeleton of public transit available – having a major impact on the livelihood of many.
- It was felt that the self driving car will have a major negative effect on the patterns of human flow. The sum of cost of housing and transportation is a major factor of where persons can live – relating to job and home locations.
- Not mentioned is the coming debate on what transportation systems should be planned for new population centers, some resulting from flows due to climate change.
¶ 12 Leave a comment on paragraph 12 0 Flows are a useful model to apply in attempting to comprehend complex systems; but they aren’t the only models. It would be interesting and useful to see the flow model applied to the complexities of climate change in its many manifestations.
- ¶ 13 Leave a comment on paragraph 13 0
- Ocean and atmospheric flows first come to mind, to comprehend the uneven distribution of weather and temperatures across the globe. Also, the flows of material things in the supply chains of our global economy, and how they contribute to biospheric destruction and climate change. But a few examples.
¶ 15 Leave a comment on paragraph 15 0 Periodically I consider UPLIFT as a flow or migration of persons and populations in time, into the future – with intention and by agency. We leave our outmoded culture, economy, social institutions behind and migrate to a new time&place with nu cultures, nu economies, and nu social institutions.
- ¶ 16 Leave a comment on paragraph 16 0
- These migrations are more Continuing OLLO Expeditions, where the “migration” is more creatively emergent than a “going to someplace”.
¶ 18 Leave a comment on paragraph 18 0 This were brief, externally stimulated insights that I here attempt to share with you. There was no attempt to be comprehensive. These are issues I feel will be much more discussed in the future, even more so than today.